One of the first Serbian printing houses was established in the village of Vrutci on the outskirts of Užice. This is where Rujno monastery is which was the cultural and educational center in the 16th century. Only one gospel was preserved from the time, printed by the monk Teodosije in 1537.
It is believed that monks fled from the Ottomans and took refuge at the monastery of Rača on the slopes of the nearby Tara mountain. Rujno was destroyed in the second half of the 16th century only to be rebuilt in centuries to come.